61 cubic inch 1000cc 16hp.
The Indian PowerPlus was produced
from 1916 to 1924 by the Hendee Manufacturing Co. and was designed by Charles Gustafson.
The motorcycle offered here for sale sports every conceivable option including
a very rare factory produced and period correct electric starter, Corbin
speedometer, electric lights, horn, ammeter, and more.
A nine-year documented restoration was completed by Wilson B. Plank for Edward
C. Jameson. A well written thirty five page folder with over fifty color photos
and diagrams which document the nine-year restoration is available for viewing
and will remain with the motorcycle.
The PowerPlus was a revolution in Indian design, as the company switched from
its original F-head of 1901 to a side-valve design in 1916. Indian’s new chief
engineer, Charles Gustafson, had designed the first side-valve motorcycle built
in the U.S. for Reading-Standard in 1907 and knew the layout to have many
advantages, including easier construction and service and cooler running of its
Cannonball Baker proved the point by winning the Three Flags endurance run on a
prototype PowerPlus in August 1915, riding from Vancouver to Tijuana in a
record 3 days, 9 hours and 15 minutes. That was an astounding time for a 1,650-
mile trip on dirt roads, and it proved conclusively that the PowerPlus was one
This bike won top awards at the 2003 Annual
Indian motorcycle show
2004 Portsmouth Abbey show